If you’ve never heard of healing touch therapy, you’re not alone. It is still a relative new technique (just under 30 years in existence) but has been growing rapidly and adopted by many persons all over the world.
Healing touch is considered a type of “energy therapy,” involving only very light or near contact touch, with an objective of influencing the energy fields surrounding the body.
Reiki and qigong are techniques that utilize a similar approach. The goal of healing touch is to promote overall well-being including the physical, emotional, spiritual, and mental planes.
First and foremost, it should be noted that healing touch therapy is a form of alternative or complementary medicine and is not considered conventional or mainstream medicine.
Healing touch can be considered revolutionary in its influence, since just a few decades ago medical practitioners were convinced that there was nothing like an energy field around the human body, while today it is a proven fact. Similar to the way the earth was dismissed as being round when it really was!
Making Use Of Healing Touch Therapy
Healing touch can be used for many different conditions, and its utility is only limited by the willingness of the patient to co-operate and be open-minded.
As such, the only time its usefulness is limited is in cases such as PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). Some of its more popular uses include:
• Chronic Pain
• Preparation for surgery or other major procedures
• Conditions where traditional massage is impractical, such as in fibromyalgia and burn victims.
• Boosting immune function
• Speeding up recovery after surgery or illness
How Safe Is Healing Touch?
Healing touch is extremely safe, and can be used as palliative and adjuvant care along with many other therapies and treatment modalities. However, it is not sufficient to replace major therapies, as at best it is a procedure that initiates relaxation and calmness.
In addition, healing touch can be performed on anyone, regardless of age.
Why Should You Consider Healing Touch?
Many people consider healing touch for the first time because of its sheer versatility. By this, we mean:
• It Is Non-Invasive- healing touch does not require any additional equipment such as tubes or monitors.
• Growing Body Of Evidence- a few decades ago, it was widely regarded as absurd to include such a technique in a medical treatment protocol; today it is accepted as a complementary style medical technique.
• It Is Extremely Affordable- since healing touch does not require any additional equipment, or supplemental medications, it can be done anywhere and anytime. It also typically costs less than a traditional massage session.
• Does No Harm- healing touch does not vigorously massage the body, so no likelihood of pain resulting from the actual massage, nor is there any negative effect by trying to improve the bio magnetic field of the body.
How Frequently Do Sessions Need To Be Entertained?
The frequency of healing touch sessions can vary as little as once in a while, to a few times per week. The exact number will of course depend on your objective, as decided by a primary care physician or based on your desire to relieve stress.
Session lengths likewise vary a bit, from as little as 15 minutes up to one hour. As healing touch sessions are believed to be cumulative, it is advised to continuously reserve sessions for maintenance.
Healing touch still has its share of critics, but with a growing body of evidence, it will likely become very mainstream. If you’re looking for a low-impact alternative to massage therapy sessions, healing touch can be your new go-to. Living in the world we are, we need appropriate avenues to relieve stress and anxiety, and healing touch fits the bill nicely!